- Phoneme (sound) to grapheme (letter or letters) correspondences to encode (spell) words accurately.
- Grapheme (letter or letters) to phoneme (sound) correspondences to decode (read) words accurately.
- Word-analysis skills.
Students are able to:
- Encode and decode words accurately using knowledge of phoneme-grapheme correspondences.
- Encode and decode words accurately using word-analysis skills.
Students understand that:
- Mapping graphemes to phonemes is essential for learning to read or decode words efficiently.
- Mapping phonemes to graphemes is essential for learning to spell or encode words efficiently.
- Analyzing a word's structure helps to read and spell a word.
- Phoneme-grapheme correspondences
- Word-analysis skills