- How to identify their rights as students and citizens in their community and state.
- How to have respect for their personal belongings and other's belongings.
- How to understand rules and consequences of breaking rules as students and citizens in their community and state.
- How to be responsible for classroom jobs and chores at home to contribute to the common good.
- How to vote in order to make choices or decisions.
- Vocabulary: rules, laws, rights, responsibilities, community, citizen, state, property, taxes, voting, choices and decisions
Students are able to:
- Describe how rules and laws protect rights and property of the people in the community.
- Describe ways responsible citizens contribute to the common good of the community and state (for example paying taxes).
- Demonstrate voting as a way of making choices and decisions.
Students understand that:
- There is an importance to their rights and responsibilities as citizens of their community and state.
- Rules and laws protect citizens' rights and property.
- It is important to make choices and decisions through voting. Citizens contribute to the common good of their community and state (for example, by paying taxes, conservation, volunteering, etc.).