Now accepting applications for the 16th Annual GEMS Expo through December 1, 2023!
The Girls Engaged in Math and Science (GEMS) Expo, offered by the Alabama State Department of Education, is an educational experience designed to actively involve girls in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. We believe that every girl has the potential to be a leader, a problem solver, and a trailblazer in the world of STEM. We want to celebrate the incredible capabilities of our young female students and encourage them to dream big, reach high, and explore the exciting possibilities within Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.
The application deadline has been extended to Friday, December 1, 2023!
We have reached 200 GEMS and counting! Due to overwhelming interest, we have extended the application deadline to give more teachers and female students the opportunity to be part of this enriching experience. Teachers, don't miss out on your chance to empower and support every girl interested in STEM!
The one-day event includes...
- A student project showcase
- Interactive and engaging STEM investigations
- A visit with female role models
Educators can apply to attend one of the events offered on five dates and locations across the state.
Educators interested in applying should:
- Create a team of 3-10 girls in grades 2-12.
- Select or create a STEM lesson plan utilizing ALEX resources.
- Teach the selected lesson to the team/class. Begin a student project based on the lesson to showcase at the Expo.
- Check out the sample application, application scoring rubric, and FAQs on our website, gemsu.org.
- Complete the online application by Friday, December 1, 2023. Go to gemsu.org and select Apply to access the application.
Due to limited space, only teams receiving a notice of acceptance are eligible to attend. Student projects do not need to be completed to apply.
Applications will be accepted through Friday, December 1, 2023.
Visit http://gemsu.org/ to learn more and apply for GEMS Expo 2024!