ALEX partnered with Alabama Technology in Motion and Alabama Leaders in Educational Technology to host the Exploring Today's Classrooms Summit on January 30th. Higher education professors from all over the state convened at Chestnut Grove Elementary School in Decatur, Alabama to learn about current events in K-12 education and visit K-12 classrooms in Decatur City Schools.
During the summit's first session, participants learned about the following ALSDE programs:
- Alabama Reading Initiative
- Alabama Math, Science, and Technology Initiative
- English Language Learners Instructional Services
- Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) Services
- Prevention and Support Services
- Special Education Services
- ALEX Resources and Supports
- Struggling Readers Initiative
- Alabama Teacher Growth Program (Dr. Barry Wiginton, ATGP Support Specialist)
Participants also had the opportunity to attend breakout sessions on the following topics:
- Computer Science Through the Lens of Literacy and History (Angela Clark, Alabama Technology in Motion Specialist)
- Take Flight with Drones in Education (Dr. Robert Mayben, Alabama Technology in Motion Specialist)
In the afternoon, professors were invited to tour elementary and secondary schools in Decatur City Schools. Professors were able to witness the pedagogical methods and technology integration strategies they learned during the professional development sessions.
This summit achieved the goal of strengthening the connection between K-12 and Higher Education and participants learned innovative strategies and creative resources to share with pre-service educators at their colleges and universities.
We will continue to host ETC events during 2023. If you are a higher education professor interested in attending our upcoming event, please sign up for the ETC newsletter using this link: https://bit.ly/ALEXnewsletter.